1999 Standard for central station air-handling units / Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute. (OCLC #954217642)

It can be hard to catalog a piece if you’re unsure exactly what you’re dealing with.

This publisher site indicates that there are two versions of this standard: ARI 430-89 (January 1989) and ARI 430-99 (July 1999). The title page says this is the 1999 standard, but the running title has the old number (ARI 430-89). We’ve had this standard in our library a long time (uncataloged), and it was locally labeled as “ARI 430-89 1999”. I didn’t find any copy in OCLC that had all these elements.

I wondered if this was the 1999 standard and they’d just neglected to update the running title, but I’ve checked online copies of that version, and they have different contents.

Rather than struggle with it further, I chose to follow the RDA guidance to “take what you see” and just recorded what’s on the piece in a new record:

245 00 ǂa 1999 Standard for central station air-handling
    units / ǂc Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute.
246 1_ ǂi On cover: ǂa Standard 430
246 17 ǂa ARI standard 430-89

Standard method of test for titanium dioxide in paper / American Society for Testing and Materials. (OCLC #954185991)

According to the LC-PCC PS for RDA 1.7.1, square brackets should not be used in quoted notes to mark inaccuracies (as we did in AACR2); instead, the inaccuracy should be explained in that same note, as in:

500 __ ǂa "American National Standard P3.8-1971, approved
    May 20, 1971, Anerican National Standards Institute."
    Approval agency is incorrect; should be American National
    Standards Institute.

Though this seems a bit more awkward than the AACR2 method of either including [sic] or a correction in square brackets, like:

... Anerican [i.e. American] National ...

it does explain the correction being made clearly, and includes both forms of the phrase in the record for phrase searching.


Early American plays. Part I (Colonial and Revolutionary) : a list / compiled by Ben Russak. (OCLC #22643908)

Anyone know what happened with this call number? I’ve never seen a bare letter after the number like that:

    PS341Z .R87 1936

I’m planning to change it to:

    PS341 .R87 1936

which is American literature, Drama, 17th-18th centuries. Colonial period.


Primitive city : urbanism & typology 2013 / by University of Kentucky College of Design: Akari Takebayashi + Team Primitive City. (OCLC #953993155)

I had some trouble with the subject cataloging and classification of this title. Just looking at it, it had chapters about various topics, including the circus, towers, crop farming, and sheep herding. The stated objective and keywords (urbanism, utopia, infinity, etc.) were hard for me to break down and compose into subject headings, so I brought it to our monthly Third Thursday problem session for discussion.

After lengthy discussion, we decided on a general heading which seemed to cover the topic well:

    650 _0 ǂa Architecture ǂx Philosophy.

plus a detailed contents note, and other notes clarifying the context. We classified as Architecture, General special:

    NA2540 .P745 2013

HMS common inside plant management information base (MIB) : SCTE-HMS-HE-RF-AMP-MIB / Engineering Committee, Hybrid Management Sub-layer Subcommittee, Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers. (OCLC #953963863)

Though this piece has a cover and front matter in English, the bulk of the content (everything after page 1) is computer code (SNMP, maybe).

I coded the Lang fixed field as English:

Lang: eng

but considered that it is more similar to notated music, which is cataloged as having no linguistic content:

Lang: zxx

What do you think?


Do you answer Dewey questions (technically classifying, not cataloging)?

Hello! If you have particular Dewey questions, I’m happy to take a crack at them (and at least post to let others chime in). I mainly do LC classification, but have done some Dewey in the past, and still occasionally do some for our Education Library’s non-fiction collection.


Did you know that you can use the Google Translate app to point your phone’s camera at a book, and have it provide you with not only a translation, but also with the characters it sees? Might be a help for cataloging hard-to-type languages!


Aiol : chanson de geste (XIIe-XIIIe siècles) / éditée par Jean-Marie Ardouin d’après le manuscrit unique BnF fr. 25516. (OCLC #949848973)

For most sets, we try to record the enumeration on individual volumes as it appears (or as an abbreviation of how it appears) on the piece. For example:

  • Volume 1 – v.1
  • 2 – no.2
  • Tom 3 – t.3
  • Band 4 – Bd.4

This set used an unusual enumeration: a single * for the first volume, and two of them (**) for the second volume. It appears that way on both the spines and title pages.

In odd cases like this, we default to numbering as volumes: v.1, v.2


52 : roman / Liz Kovarni. (OCLC #946485456)

The class number PQ2711 is for French literature, individual authors from 2001 forward whose name starts with K, and cuttering based on the second letter of the name; for Liz Kovarni, we start with:


The second cutter is for the title of the work, which in this case is the number “52”.

The Library of Congress Classification and Shelflisting manual in its section on Cutter numbers (G 063) includes instructions for cuttering for numerals: When Cuttering for Roman or Arabic numerals, use the
Cutters .A12 – .A19. We can use:

    PQ2711.O89 A15 2015